Sunday, August 19, 2012

8/19/12, 3p, 10p


I slept ok, but not very restfully.  I was up a few times to the loo, and the temperature was quite warm, despite the fan, as the mosquito nets are not very air permeable.  There was also a terrific rain storm that invited me to open the windows and curtains to let some of the fresh coolness in, but even that didn't get through the mosquito net very well.



I had a lazy morning.  I woke up for church, but didn't feel comfortable enough yet to walk 15 minutes into town, and sit at a church service for 3 hours, in Hausa, a language I haven't yet begun to understand.  Instead, I stayed close to the loo, kept myself hydrated and will wait for the GI adjustment to the local cuisine to pass.



We had lunch with Dr. EP, a German OB/GYN who we will have the opportunity to work with if adult and pediatric medicine departments slow down after the rainy/malaria season, and likely when we are on call.  It was a wonderful German meal - a dish that looked like a german pancake on the outside, but had a biscuit/lasagna noodle type filled with chicken and a cheesy sauce with mushrooms.  It was quite rich and delicious.  We also had a cucumber-dill type slaw and some local baguette, that Lisa and I were both excited to hear exists, since we had stocked up on a few loaves in the capitol for concern that there wouldn't be any.  Dessert was a very rich vanilla pudding with a delicate chocolate shaped as a butterfly or an angel.



We said our good-byes and thanks, and left as the thunder was starting to pick up, and the misting was starting to thicken.  We made it home dry, but since that time it has been pouring constantly and heavily.  Lisa went into shadow the doctor on call for a few hours, or else I'm sure we would be sharing the Rains in Africa song again!



There was a service for the compound at 5:30 this evening.  And, they really meant 5:30, with no inclination of African time!  We arrived 3 minutes late after dancing around thick mud from the rains, and they were finishing the first song!



Some of the prayers included the arrivals of the newcomers (us), departures of some short termers, and the floods in the capitol.  The pouring rain we've gotten here has made the roads muddy, but in the capitol, 205 miles away, sandbags are needed and damage is being done.  Also, the number of deaths yesterday was seven.  This is a busy hospital, but that is a lot of death for one day.



Afterwards, we were invited to dinner by the STAs, or short termers.  It was another wonderful meal with great company.  Oregon is quite popular in this remote African village - and one of the teachers at the school went to college at George Fox University, in my home town of Newberg, Oregon!!!  And, she used to  drive up my road to Bald Peak State Park as a reprieve from school!!  Another girl who was born in San Diego, but grew up in Peru, was recently in Bend!  And then there was the nurse/doctor family who worked at the VA/trained at OHSU!  I love the talking about home, away from home!



The internet has been out, so I am just now going to post some updates to the internet!



Work starts tomorrow.  I probably won't be able to write as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment