Tuesday, August 14,
9:30 am in the Capitol.
We are at the guest
house.
We left Wichita at
12:30 pm, went through Atlanta, Paris and then to the capitol. Our seats on all legs were accidentally(?
)upgraded to business class! That was
unexpected but quite pleasant.
Upon arrival we
found the longest line to check our VISAs, but got our passports stamped
without problem. After waiting at the
baggage claim until all the remaining pieces had gone around several times, I
was short one trunk. One huge, heavy
trunk. As Lisa went to fill out lost
paperwork, I spotted it at the far end of the baggage claim area, apparently
having fallen off the conveyer belt. It
was nice to welcome it back! (Unlike
Kenya when our bags were left or lost and made it to us a few days after
arrival at our destination!)
We made it through
customs with no problems - I would comment more on the simplicity of the
system, but probably shouldn't discuss
anything regarding security, politics, etc.
We met our taxi
driver, and crossed from the capitol to our guest house. It was a Monday and commerce was going on
beside the streets, cars and motorcycles that would never pass the DEQ were
putting off ample emissions, and the heat was ok with the windows open
providing a breeze.
We arrived at the
guest house safely, and it is very comfortable.
There is a full kitchen, ample opportunity to get cold and clean water,
a nice sitting area, our bedroom has three beds (and there are 3 other rooms),
and fans in every room to help move the air.
On arrival the guest house was 90 degrees, and by the time we went to
bed it had cooled off! To 86 degrees. There is an AC in our room, charged by the
hour, and I was able to sleep comfortably.
We went on an
excursion to visit a nearby bakery for baguette and stopped by a road side
stand for eggs and oranges. There is a
drought and famine here, and I wonder if that changes the rules about
bargaining. As we learned later, some
food is available, but most is unaffordable to the locals. There has been rain nearly every day for a
while now, and everything on arrival and driving through town was green, but
the lack of food now stems from last years drought, and this growing season
won't be available until October. There
is some great fear that locust will destroy the crops, when the grow, and
spraying can't be done over neighboring countries as the planes may be shot at.
We were invited to
dinner by some missionaries a few blocks away, and it was nice to have
somewhere to go, good food, good conversation and good company.
It had been a long
journey, but thankfully uneventful. We
went to bed early, and I slept well.
Although between hours here and there on the plane, there were several
hours overnight I could not sleep, but none-the-less woke up rested. I enjoyed a cold shower, and since have been
sitting under a fan, writing this; to be posted when internet is available.
Thank you for your
prayers for safety in travel.
How did I miss this until now? Now I have to catch up on all your posts and comment appropriately :) I'm glad you didn't have to wait for your luggage to come to you. I thought about the drought and famine, too, and thought if I'd be creating more problems if I had gone....
ReplyDelete