I last wrote on a
Tuesday, and that was well over a week ago.
Sorry loyal readers! I have a lot
more to say when I can talk about other's illnesses instead of my own!
I should have tried
to write something, because my memory of the last week is not stellar; it all
seems a blur. I'll attempt to recount
some of the events…
Last week Monday was
a long, hard day in clinic, due to a cold and a whole ton of very sick
patients. Tuesday I rounded on a few,
ran home for a short break (and because I was going to be sick again), and got
a phone call saying, my patients were being taken care of, stay home and get
well. (I reread my last entry to know
that all was true, from here on out I'm a bit fuzzy on the details…)
I felt much better
by Wednesday and was able to round (although on very few patients since I
hadn't admitted any the day before. I
was able to rest for two hours between rounds and clinic, and then another two
hours between morning and afternoon clinics.
The patient load was much lighter!
I was about to see the last patient, and we would be finished by about
5:15, instead of the typical 6 pm. I
then had that horrible sense I was going to be sick again. I went to the back of the clinic room, where
there was a sink, and was able to get rid of that panicked feeling of impending
emesis. The relief must not have yet
cleared my face because Lisa walked in at about the same time, and sent me
home. She offered to see the last
patient who had already patiently waited all day. My interpreter walked me home (and wouldn't
accept no for an answer) and then let me know that I have to be honest with
him, because we are a team now!
Impending emesis
became actualized, and was present after anything I put in my mouth. I drank Gatorade, water and SRO (also known as ORS or oral rehydration
salts) a horrible salty liter of fluid that has balanced salt and sugar to that
of the body to be optimally reabsorbed and to replenish lost electrolytes. I ate an apple here, a piece of toast there,
some ramen at times. It all came
back. Although terribly thirsty I had to
limit myself to one or two sips at a time to try to trick my system into
keeping it down. Sometimes it worked,
sometimes it didn't. So the pattern
continued for the rest of the week. In
general, most of the time I felt relatively well, but would feel miserable and
exhausted for a short period of time after each episode of emesis. I took cough medicine, Tums and Zofran, to no
avail.
I was feeling a
little weak but hadn't had any emesis overnight, so on Sunday morning I went up
to the hospital. I had traded call days
to have an extra day of rest, and so although I really had no patients at this point,
I could see Lisa's, admit some of my own, and then be ready to go on
Monday! I got up to the entrance about
the same time Dr. KL arrived and he asked me, what at the time I thought was an
unfair question. He asked me if I had
thrown up in the last 24 hours. The
answer to that was yes, but let's look at the last 12 hours, that was
great! Perhaps my sites were too short,
or he recognized something that I didn't.
When my answer was yes, he sent me home, again.
I was pretty tired
by the time I got home again, and the hospital is not far! When he finished with rounds he came by
again, and finding a blank lab order form on my kitchen table, recommended I
get some labs drawn. I got some SRO for
the road, and walked back up toward the hospital. Labs were drawn without a glitch, and called
to Dr. KL at some point later.
Creatinine 0.9 [0.6-1.2], sodium 149 [135-145], potassium 5.2
[3.5-5]. (My potassium hadn't been >
3.5 for most of the past year, but for other reasons!) So, the labs looked reasonable. My creatinine is usually 0.6, so it had
bumped a little, but in general, everything was relatively close to normal and
could be explained by being a little dehydrated.
Lisa came over at
one point, enjoying her first day off since arrival, and asked if I wanted her
to bring a book over and read here for a while, just to be here. I'm not sure why I said yes, and I don't know
that I normally would have, but she was here.
I don't remember any deep conversations but just kept resting knowing
she was nearby.
The biggest change
about Sunday was pain. Throughout the
whole week prior, I had never had any pain.
No headaches, no belly pain, no hunger pain, nothing. Sunday, my belly felt like it was going to
explode. I couldn't identify it as
anything specific, but as it was suprapubic my differential included my uterus
or my bladder. My bladder was empty and
I hadn't been making urine again, so it wasn't that it was too distended or
anything. And, thankfully I can't ever
recall having my uterus itself cause me any pain or discomfort. I have a brilliant friend who once admitted
that she was having an "uter-ache."
I understood the pain she was describing, and thought, what an
insightful and clever term! Regardless,
there was a constant pain, exacerbated by movement, and unable to be relieved.
By Sunday afternoon,
my bedroom was transformed into a hospital room. An IV was started on the first try, after
much searching and praying! I can be a
hard stick when dehydrated! (I even
remember once getting stuck in the jugular, but that was years ago!) It took two liters before I was able to
urinate again, and before I could appreciate that I again had visitors.
I had been prayed
for at church, which for the folks on the compound is on Sunday nights. Up until that time many people didn't know I
was sick - the doctor's are uusally so busy, you don't expect to see them on a
daily basis! I remember some faces, but
mostly I remember that all the ladies were wearing blue!
Laughter really is
good medicine, and finding that Lisa had left her book (The No. 1 Ladies'
Detective Agency) earlier in the day, it was commandeered and read out loud to
me. People stayed with me for a couple
hours at a time, and one brought a cot, and camped in my room for the
night. When I was able to safely
ambulate to the bathroom on my own and carry my fluids with me, I was allowed
some time alone.
The IV fluids
overnight allowed me to urinate twice, which for the liters going in admittedly
isn't much, but it was more than the few days prior! I had had so much vomiting I got dehydrated,
and then after 4 and a half liters of fluids (I'm sure it would have been 6 or
7, but my IV infiltrated, and the back of my hand became very puffy and
swollen, so I was off the hook, and line!
Hehe. Get it? :) ),
instead of doing something productive like continuing to make urine, mostly it
was just all horrible amounts of diarrhea.
After two days of Cipro and after a couple Imodium, I felt so much
better, and hoped to return to work on Wednesday!
The funny thing
about making urine, is that then you have to go to the bathroom, and sometimes
that just takes time. Not until after
getting all those fluids and drinking liters of oral rehydration did I really
realize how little urine I had been making.
I really thought
that in the face of illness, I would be strong and handle things well, but all
that went out the door after the first week.
As I mentioned before, I never had hunger pain, even though I ate almost
nothing. I never really had any pain
until Sunday, and that was when I had abdominal pain like nothing I'd ever
felt. It literally hurt to move. By that point I wasn't peeing, again, so at
least that was a blessing not to have to move (before I got the IV)! Then, after all the IVF, instead of urine, as
I said before, it was all diarrhea.
Which also was associated with some belly pain, but better than the day
before. After about 12 such rendezvous
with the baÑo for the aforementioned, I was quite discouraged. I cried.
I don't cry. I thought I hadn't cried for probably 10
years since my grandmother died! (After
thinking about this more closely, I cried on the flight on the way back from
Kenya. (I think Katy was sleeping.) I was frustrated that the one thing I had
hoped to accomplish while in Kenya, I had failed to do, and I felt like I had
wasted an incredible opportunity. Don't
get me wrong, it was a great introduction to medicine in Africa, it was great
for providing me with concrete examples of why I was still interested in the
International Fellowship, and it gave me a better perspective and helped revive
myself in multiple ways.)
Anyway, I was so
frustrated. When I was asked why, the
obvious things that came to mind were: I came here to work and learn medicine
in Africa, not stay in my bed and be a patient; I am a very private person and
African mission society is a very loving, connected, community endeavor; and
possibly the tip of the ice berg, was that I was spending so much time in the
bathroom, and it was much hotter than my room as there was no fan. I searched for a plug-in, in case I did need
to just camp out in the bathroom for a while, and I couldn't find one. I think that was the culminating, push over
the proverbial hump, tears welling up and cascading out, straw that broke the
camel's back.
So...strong...not so much. A complete dependence on God? That would have been nice, but that hasn't
been part of our interaction up until this point. I have really struggled with having a
"relationship," trusting and loving Him, and being loved by Him.
Lisa went on a walk at one point, and came
back and said, you need to ask God what this was all about; there is something
God is trying to teach you through this...
I think my lesson was that I do need to have complete dependence on
God. That I really do have to let go of
thinking I am doing the right things for myself and let Him take care of
me. It was against everything I have
ever done to have people walking in and spending time with me (when I'm well,
fine, but when I am leaking nastiness from every orifice...eck.) Until I was strong enough to walk to the bathroom
myself, someone was with me 'round the clock!
I knew I had gotten into trouble by doing my own thing, and not that I
wasn't going to participate in my own care, I vowed to do what I was told for
48 hours. I drank what I was told, ate
what I was told, and I got better. If
these guys are giving me SRO, what better gifts would a loving Father give
me?!? (I still can't categorize SRO
appropriately. On one hand the taste
would put it in the stone, snake, scorpion category, whereas the obvious
benefits I got from it put it in the bread, fish, egg category! It was made with love, kool-aid, and sugar in
an attempt to mask the salt, and that helped tremendously!)
The time has passed
and I have felt better daily.
When I was strong
enough to hold a book, I would read. I
finished Evidence Not Seen, Surgeon on
Safari, No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and Sword and Scalpel (and I am not a
fast reader!) Evidence I've mentioned
before, Surgeon on Safari was about an orthopedic surgeon who took his 9 kids
to Kenya for a year long, short term mission trip, Sword and the Scalpel was
about Bob Foster in Zambia and Angola, and the Detective Agency was set in
Botswana. Each book was about Africa or
Missions, and I saw over and over in the missionary books, how often these
folks were in prayer, how deep their faith was in God, especially when they
were in circumstances beyond their abilities, and how they could see God
through suffering.
Wednesday I felt so
well I started to unpack my trunks! (I
know, how many layers of insight can I read into that one!) On Thursday I was told I still couldn't work,
but that I could walk around the compound, with an emphasis on the fact that it
was in the direction opposite the hospital. I walked, but I was quite dizzy
again and back for another liter of SRO.
On Friday, I got added instruction, that not only was I not going to go
back to work till Monday, and not only was I supposed to walk around the
compound, but talk to his wife! They
live on the far end of the compound, and although I had made two full circuits
the day before, I had never stopped in to say, Hi!.
So, Friday I stopped
in, and hours later emerged. I had one
of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had and read a children's book
called, Monkey Crosses the Equator. The
monkey is at the equator, but doesn't feel any different when he swings from a
tree in the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere. The moral of the story is that you may not
see a difference right away, but, "the further you go, the more you will
know where you are, and where you are going, and the more you will feel
it." I also got a book of a few
bible studies that I am excited to work through.
This weekend I've
been trying to eat more, walking more, resting and getting my strength up. Tomorrow, I am excited to go back to work,
and be on call! It is kinda like having a
first day again, but without the stress or anxiety of the unknown!
Thanks for your
concern and prayers. It was a very long,
hard road for a while there, but I am so thankful for the love and support of
my neighbors - strangers who have become family. Despite the love and all the lessons learned,
I am so ready to be a functioning member of this community again!
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes....I hate being a patient, too. I always think it's to teach me to be more empathetic to patients, but I'm always glad when I'm "functioning" again, too.
ReplyDeleteWhat? You cried on the flight back? I at least had the decency to cry IN FRONT of you!! Just kidding ;P You're right; I don't think I've seen you cry. I, on the other hand, am quite leaky. Hahaha....
Hope this week goes well for you.
Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations - but as part of your life experience, man you can really add a lot of lessons to this part of the journey and its only just begun!
ReplyDeleteI am relieved to hear you are getting better. Just needed to add in my two-cents as always and I am sure you will give me lots of change when I need it most!
Hope it gets better - take care of you, okay!!!! Love ya!
Marta, Thanks for sharing all of what you've been going through. God is faithful and will see you through. So happy for the things you are learning, hope you start to feel well and get some strength back soon. Praying for you!!! Kristin
ReplyDeleteYour gifts are many. Your shortcomings at reliance may be frustrating. Do not fret. All is in divine right order. You may be learning, and understanding, but understand also that not all understanding will be conscious understanding. It is the Soul's understanding. Rest into love and comfort. Whatever comes from these lessons, you will weave them into a lovely tapestry. Right now, you are only able to see the back side of that tapestry. Patience is paramount (and we have a familial quality of LACK of patience.) You are beloved beyond measure...and not just by me or your family, or your friends. Remember that. Be open. Be willing. And rest into love and comfort. Remember to breathe deeply. Trust it will be as it needs to be. I love you.
ReplyDelete